Laboratories at Department of Food Engineering and Proces Management
Click on the photo to see panoramic view of a chosen laboratory
(Installation of Quick Time software is needed).
Supervisors: dr inż. Hanna Kowalska, dr inż. Agata Marzec, lic. Mariusz Wojnowski
- development of fruit and vegetable drying technologies in order to maintain and improve their quality and usefulness as consumer products (convective, microwave- convective, and radiator drying methods).
- development of technologies of drying liquid raw materials to achieve their dry powder form.
- drying of solutions or emulsions, e.g. juice on carbohydrate carrier.
- microcapsulation method by spray-drying, e.g. enzymes, dyes, aromatic substances, lipid substances.
- powder agglomeration, drying /granulation/ moistening/coating loose substances on fluid bed; application for loose materials in a form of: fine powder, granules, pellets, tablets or crystalline substances.
- mixing of powder raw materials. Preparation of powder and granulate mixtures, also with liquid additives e.g. spreading of liquids (dyes, aromatics, and flavours) on a solid carrier in loose form; preparation of spice mixtures, nutrients and concentrates following any recipe.
- cryo-concentration of fruit juices in a temperature below 0oC.
- freezing – checking of the surface and intra material freezing processes.
- saturation coupled with osmotic dehydration – application to produce low-processed foodstuffs, preserving features of fresh fruit and vegetables enriched with additional nutrient substances to supplement diet poor in these components.
- membrane processes – carrying out ultra- and nano-filtration with the use of variable surface ceramic membranes.
BIO-ENGINEERING LABORATORY (1046)
Supervisors: dr inż. Dorota Nowak, specialist Krzysztof Królikowski
- freezing in a low (-70oC) temperature
- intensive cooling under controlled time-regime to reach required temperature
- shock freezing under temperature range between -20 and -40oC
- freeze-drying with an efficiency of 16 kg evaporated water per 24 h; monitoring and registration of the process parameters
- freeze-drying at different process parameters
- freeze-drying under variable conditions of initial freezing
- production of biomass or metabolic products by microorganisms in bio-fermentors
- testing of temperature distribution in materials during freezing process
- testing of temperature distribution in materials during lyophilisation
- BZT5 determination
- continuous determination of change in oxygenation rate during biotechnology process
- continuous determination of change in pH during biotechnology process
- determination of freezing point in solutions having osmolarity up-to 1000 mOsm
- spectrophotometric measurements
- continuous conductometric and pH measurements with registration of the results
RHEOLOGICAL MEASUREMENT LABORATORY (042)
Supervisors: dr inż. Ewa Jakubczyk, specjalista Krzysztof Królikowski
- badania tekstury żywności
- pomiar właściwości mechanicznych i reologicznych produktów spożywczych
- ocena kruchości i chrupkości żywności za pomocą emisji akustycznej
WATER ACTIVITY MEASUREMENT LABORATORY (041)
Supervisors: dr inż. Ewa Gondek, mgr Wanda Pomarańska-Łazuka
- measuring of water activity
- analysing of sorption properties (static-exsiccation method, dynamic method)
DIFFUSION MEASUREMENT LABORATORY (1048)
Supervisors: dr inż. Agnieszka Ciurzyńska, mgr Wanda Pomarańska-Łazuka
- osmotic dehydration of fruit and vegetables
- coating of foodstuffs
- dry basis content deretmination
- wyznaczanie współczynników dyfuzji
POWDER MATERIALS LABORATORY (1052)
Supervisors: dr inż. Ewa Domian, specjalista Krzysztof Królikowski
- measuring of powders bulk density
- measuring of real density of powder materials, granulates, foams and solids
- qualitative measurements of the liquidity rate of powdered raw materials
- measuring of flow function, internal friction angle and cohesion of powdered raw materials
STRUCTURE MEASUREMENT LABORATORY (1053)
Supervisors: dr inż. Monika Janowicz, specjalista Krzysztof Królikowski
- testing of food internal structure
- computer analysis of food image